Thursday, April 10, 2014

What is up with the human need for fences?
It's the darndest thing. They get a perfectly nice house, with comfortable couches, good food on the counters, water in every bathroom at the perfect drinking height, and then not only do they put doors on the house that my kind cannot open, but they go on to enclose the house and outside happy space with a fence. If I were of the nervous ilk, this might be enough to make me snappy. Nearly every time I go outside there is something much more interesting going on on the other side of the fence.
Today the boy next door was hitting balls with a big stick. I love balls! And sticks! Me grabbing his stick and playing tugawar with him might have been the highlight of his day. And normally I would say I like that boy too, but his lack of interest in my needs today was disheartening. I believe I'll start drawing up a plan for a swinging-door house and a fenceless yard. A dog should be free to roam at will. If he's treated right he'll come back . . . eventually.

1 comment:

  1. When he's hungry...if his nose doesn't find anything else more compelling at the moment....
    I sincerely hope that, once your disappointment ebbed, you found solace in the gracious yellow and blue blooms on your side of the fence.

    ReplyDelete